My adventures at sea have finished and I have sucessfully navigated to a safe port. “Storm at Sea” is DONE.
Before I share the picture of the full view, allow me to share my experiences at sea…
My first challenge was to find a pattern. I wasn’t successful but managed to muddle through with bits and barnacles from a couple of different sources. For the diamond blocks I wanted to follow Eleanor Burns’ instructions because I didn’t want to have to buy a template. Her directions to take a 3×6″ piece and cut corner to corner are simple and work for me. For the diamond centre I liked the idea of cutting a triangle on folded fabric. Unfold the fabric and voila!…a diamond! I used my Kaleilo-ruler for this.
My first batch sewed together well but something was off..just couldn’t put my finger on what it was…. The corners weren’t lining up well and I had a hard time squaring them to the right size.
Eventually I looked more thoroughly at the instructions and whaddya know…a printed template! Hey….lets see how that template lines up with the ruler.
I guess that would be the problem.
This next picture shows the wrong block on the right and the correct block on the left.
Sew…smooth sailing ahead, right? Nay I say…
You see, in my search for a pattern I saw couple of different arrangements that I liked but I wasn’t exactly sure how to figure out in advance the exact configuration of each block. The colour placement was KEY for this quilt.
So I literally planned and pieced one block at a time. It was rather excruciating actually. I thought though that as I started seeing the quilt take shape, and the pattern appear, it would all be worth it.
Nope. I wasn’t liking it one bit. Arrgh matey!
I must have talked myself in-and-out of giving up on the whole thing at least a dozen times.
But tenacity can be my friend sometimes.
THAR She Blows….are you ready?
Now…I am loving how it turned out. Only one teensie problem… I dunno what I was thinking about whilst I was merrily quilting away. But suddenly, during a bobbin change, it occurred to me to ask myself, “why am I using dark grey thread?” The quilt back is cream!!
Are you kidding me? Seriously? Where the heck was my head?
By the time this happened I was almost finished the entire quilt.
Sew…how do you like my design choice? I used a new technique called “scrappy thread”.
Regardless of the back (which I’m planning on saying is just a reflection of my split personality), I LOVE this quilt! It won’t be gifted until April so I’ll just have more time to gaze at the calm waters after my personal Storm at Sea. 😃
This quilt wasn’t on my PHD list so next week I will pick up one of those projects and continue my progress.
Here is where I’m at with that list:
- Dresden quilt – started Aug 2016; blocks made, fabric purchased – no progress this period
- Autumn leaves quilt – in progress, some blocks partially done
- Feathered star quilt – one block made Sep 2017 – no progress this period
- Delectable Mountains quilt – ready to sandwich, need to buy backing
- Little Girl quilt – DONE Jan 2018, gifted March 4, 2018
- Christmas quilt #2 – blocks started – flimsy and borders done, ready to sandwich, need to buy backing
- Christmas quilt #3 – fabric purchased, pattern pending – no progress this period
- Winnie the Pooh baby quilt – DONE (Jan 14 post)
- Bibs baby quilt – sandwiched, ready to FMQ – no progress this period
- Lewe the Ewe baby quilt – DONE (Jan 14 post)
- Secret quilt – fabric purchased – pattern: Alter-ego; no progress this period
- Blues quilt – sandwiched, ready to FMQ – no progress this period
Cheers all and spend your Sundays Sewing!