What happens to this
when you put it down for several months??
My cousin Gail, of Gail’s Quilts, wrote a blog about why a project becomes a UFO. It’s a great post so be sure to read it if you haven’t already! She effectively captured a couple of (internal) conversations I’ve had with the “Autumn Leaves” quilt (my PHD #2), but even more apply to my PHD #4!
As of earlier this year, PHD #4 only needed to be sandwiched and quilted. Borders were on and backing was purchased.
Unfortunately, I don’t have a picture of the flimsy with the borders on it. But it was the borders which were holding me back. At the time the flimsy was ready for borders, I got lazy and decided to pull something from my stash (which believe me can hardly be called a “stash”…it is EXTREMELY limited). Sew…I pulled black for a 2 1/2″ inner border and a strong yellow/gold for a wide (5 or 6”) outer border. I should have known I was in trouble when I did that, because picking a backing was even more difficult. I ended up buying some discounted backing from my LQS which was a black and white graphic pattern. Seriously…my choices went from bad to worse. It was quickly turning into a quilt that I was focusing on “getting done” rather than enjoying. And I knew that if I proceeded it would turn into a quilt which I would not want to gift to anyone.
Sew, I bit the bullet and removed the black and gold borders. Yup – If I’m gonna do it, I’m gonna do it right! I will provide more updates in future posts but for now, suffice to say my shoulders are already lighter!
After I spent an evening re-watching some Outlander episodes, and unsewing the borders on PHD#4, I picked up the Autumn Leaves quilt. It took me an entire evening (like … 4 or more hours) to figure out what the overall plan was, what I had done, what fabric was supposed to be used where, and where I needed to pick up. The next evening…I started up where I had left off. But…something was nagging…
I took a couple pictures with my phone and thought of the intended recipient and realized – it doesn’t work. It’s not right for the recipient’s personality.
Sew….Yup….I did it again! This time – every—-single—-block was entirely unsewn. And now this…
looks like this!!
And I couldn’t be happier! It’s a much better fit. It was well worth the effort.
Sew…my lesson with this experience…”Done” is not necessarily better than “perfect”.
And…not to make this post too long, but I would be neglectful if I didn’t post the fact that I actually did get one quilt done-done-done. PHD #11 is a quilt I had planned for my son, Adam. During my first year of quilting I (of course) made quilts for all of my children for their birthdays. When it came to Adam, I was rushed for time and ran out of materials so I made him a “lap” quilt instead of a bed quilt. Given he’s 6’3″, the lap quilt barely covers his thighs. Always reminded me of Dr. Seuss’ Ned and his little bed…
Sew…SURPRISE! Adam’s new BED-SIZED quilt, called “Heros” is done!
Summary of my PHD list (7/12 Done):
- DONE – Dresden quilt – started Aug 2016 (May 21, 2018 post)
- Autumn leaves quilt –
flimsy done, ripped apart– flimsy done – progress this period
- Feathered star quilt – one block made Sep 2017 – no progress this period
- Delectable Mountains quilt –
ready to sandwich– Reverse progress this period
- DONE – Little Girl quilt – Jan 2018, gifted March 4, 2018
- Christmas quilt #2 – ready to sandwich – no progress this period
- Christmas quilt #3 – fabric purchased, pattern pending – no progress this period
- DONE – Winnie the Pooh baby quilt – (Jan 14, 2018 post)
- DONE – Bibs baby quilt – (Mar 18, 2018 post)
- DONE – Lewe the Ewe baby quilt – (Jan 14 post)
- DONE – Secret quilt – For my Son, Adam – (Jul 8, 2018 Post)
- DONE – Blues quilt – (Apr 8, 2018 post)
Cheers all and I hope you enjoy your Sunday sewing!